Each year, the Southern California Regional Robotics Forum awards three one-year scholarships of $1000.00 to high school seniors, helping to enable their education in STEM studies. Each award is non-renewable, and the winners will be recognized at the Los Angeles Regional FRC Competition, held this year (2017) at California State University at Long Beach.
Student Eligibility Requirements
- In senior year at a high school in the Los Angeles Region of Southern California (i.e., Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara,
San Luis Obispo, Kern, San Bernardino or Orange counties).
- Actively participates on a robotics team in the Los Angeles Region of Southern California for one of these programs:
o FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) team and/or
o FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) team and/or
o VEX Robotics Competition (VRC) team.
- Participated or scheduled to participate in one or more qualifying regional events in the Los Angeles Region of Southern California.
- Completed scholarship application form (see below).
- Picture of student – head shot preferred. If submitting group photo, please identify scholarship applicant. The picture may be posted on SCRRF's web site.
- Student writes a 300-400 word essay titled “The Impact of FRC/FTC/VRC on my Future Goals.” Please include your name at the top of each page. All or selected portions of this essay may be posted on SCRRF’s web site.
- A copy of the student’s high school transcript (official copy not required). GPA may be posted on SCRRF's web site.
- Letter of recommendation from one of the adult members of the student’s robotics team stating that the applicant has demonstrated the values of FRC/FTC/VRC and is a member in good standing.
- Letter of recommendation from one of the student’s recent science, technology, engineering or math teachers who is not a robotics team mentor.
- All materials need to be emailed (preferred) or delivered by the due date to:
Joe Petito, Chairman
SCRRF Scholarship Committee
1415 W 219th Street
Torrance, CA 90501
Cell phone: (310) 753-1778
2017 SCRRF Scholarship Application
Applications are due Friday, March 3rd, 2017.
Download SCRRF 2017 Scholarship Application (Word document)
2016 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Winners will be posted soon.
2015 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Alex Hattori, FRC Team 1197, South High School, Torrance
Erick Locke, FRC Team 3309/VRC Team 9983B, Service High School, Anaheim
Esabella Rios, FRC Team 4201, Da Vinci Science High School, Hawthorne
2014 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Alyssa Arnheim, FRC Team 1197, South High School, Torrance
Kyle Kovacs, FTC Team 6077, Dos Pueblos Senior High School, Goleta
Max Spero, FRC Team 589, Crescenta Valley High School, La Crescenta
2013 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
James Carr, FRC Team 3309, Service High School, Anaheim
Cedric Kim, FRC and VRC Team 599, Granada Hills Charter High School, Granda Hills
James Mullen, FRC and VRC Team 1138, Chaminade College Prep School, West Hills
2012 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Jade Brooks, VRC and FRC Team 599, Granada Hills Charter High School, Granda Hills
David Carr, FRC Team 3309, Service High School, Anaheim
James Mullen, FTC Team 452, Joshua Christian High School, Lancaster
2011 SCRRF-Time Warner Cable Scholarship Winners
Mindy Huang, FTC Team 542, Whitney High School, Cerritos (Metro Service Area)
Grant Pickett, FRC Team 4322, Desert Christian High School, Lancaster (North Service Area)
Katherine Shen, FRC Team 1135, Whitney High School, Cerritos (SCRRF)
2010 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Carrine Johnson, FRC Team 2637, Peninsula Panthers
Ryan Sharp, VRC, FTC and FRC Team 294, Beach Cities Robotics
2009 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Karl Hujsak, FRC Team 2029 Neotech Robotics
Chun Ji Wang, FTC Tean 542, FRC Team 1135, Whitney High School Robotics
2008 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Michael Robinson, FRC Team 1622, Spyder
Nicholas Foote, FRC Team 2102, Team Paradox
2007 SCRRF Scholarship Winners
Caitlin Steele, FRC Team 330, Beach Bots
Adam Heard, FRC Team 294, Beach Cities Robotics
2006 SCRRF Scholarship Winner
2005 SCRRF Scholarship Winner
Geroge Chen, FRC Team 294, Beach Cities Robotics